The Perks of Being A Wallflower Book Review

9:30 AM



I love the movie, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower,  so much that I've chosen to read the book.  The book was written by Stephen Chbosky, who also wrote and directed the movie. The book was short, only 224 pages long, and it discusses the life of a 15-year-old boy named Charlie.
The big difference between the movie and the book was the book analyzes more about Charlie's family. For example, his sister was only shown a few times in the movie, but in the book it describes her character more in-depth. Charlie also cried a lot in the book; however, in the movie he doesn't cry that much. If you've watched the movie, I'm sure you will enjoy the book. I did not understand why Charlie was so emotional, but his past holds a key to his behavior.  In each sections of the book, it starts off with "Dear Friend."As a reader, I did not know who Charlie was addressing, but I'm assuming the "Friend" was the reader. The book ended on a light note,  like the movie, with Charlie freeing himself from his past hurt.

Quotes from the book

"We accept the love we think we deserve"

This quote describes each character in the book and their love life. I've seen this quote everywhere, from Facebook statues and tattoos. Sometimes we do accept people for who they are, even if they're not the best person for us, we just hope they'll change.

"You can't just sit there and  put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love"

The quote above was from Sam, Charlie's love interest, to Charlie. I was confused with the meaning behind this quote, but I think I have a better understanding of it now.  Sam was telling Charlie to be more than a shoulder to cry on.  This is one of Charlie's flaws, he's only there for his friends, but he's not helping them because he's not being honest with them.

“I don't want to be somebody's crush. If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am."

Sam said the above comment to Charlie as well. I couldn't agree more.


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I very much want to read this book and see this movie! I think your post helped motivate me.

    Saying hi from the Southern Girl Blogging Community! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can read the book online for free. If you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the movie but I need to read the book. Saying hello from SGBC!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by The SLS! We love hearing from our readers, and want to know what you think about this post. Don't forget to follow us on Bloglovin, Facebook, and Twitter to keep up with the latest posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Photos and videos used on this blog do not belong to us unless noted otherwise.. Powered by Blogger.

Subscribe